This time of year, stress and anxiety are exponentially high. Unfortunately, that’s reality. The good part? It doesn’t have to control us and ruin our Christmas cheer!
Duly note: though I am suggesting ways to combat the blues; ultimately, you have to make the choice to do it. Only then, will you achieve it.
10 Ways to Manage Your Mental Health
2. TAKE A DRIVE! – Christmas lights up neighborhoods! If you’re having a hard time, wrapped up in your thoughts.. Get in your car (goal #1 accomplished!!) and drive around 🙂 ❤️
3. MAKE A HOT DRINK- a favorite drink, tea, coffee, hot chocolate… Doesn’t matter! You deserve a few minutes with a treat. Also, warmth going into your body will raise your body temperature. Mentally, warm feels more secure?
4. SOAK IN THE TUB – This is the easiest but one of the most rewarding care practices, in my opinion. If you like bath salts, I recommend these:
5. PHONE A FRIEND – Believe me when I say, people LOVE you!! People DO care what you’re going through. People WILL listen. Online, you have countless people at your fingertips. Take time and call someone! Allow yourself to trust someone else. Allow yourself to be transparent and vulnerable. You deserve that relief, no matter how long it lasts.
6. DO RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS – Personally, when I’m feeling awful, it’s kindness towards others that helps the most. It’s the deliberate mental focus on improving the life of another person that helps me smile. It’s the truth that, my gift of kindness, not only made their day brighter, but also, made my own the same, at the same time.
7. MEDITATE – Whether you use a app, listen to a YouTube video, play a podcast, or talk to yourself.. Meditation will remind you to breathe deep. It will ground you to the present moment. It will rebalance your body and mind. Allow yourself to be open and honest about everything that comes to mind. Use that time to feel what you do.. Then allow it to pass.
8. HUG SOMEBODY – I know, ewwww and COVID 😵😵… But really, we’ve all become dangerously out of reach with one another.. On all levels. I can’t tell you how many times I needed a hug in my life.. And I never got it! I also know that if I had, it would’ve made a huge difference.
9. CHECK IT TWICE – What do you have planned for the month? Is your Christmas packed with obligations and appointments? Is it depressingly empty? Take a look, and adjust your plans according to adequate sleep, less stress, and a happier you.
10. UNPLUG & READ- There’s nothing quite like a lit tree, candle light or fire place glow and a good book. If you don’t do well with books, grab a magazine. If you happen to be blind, maybe play a podcast? In whatever ways you can, shut off noises and focus on another story.
I hope this has helped❤️ Always remember I’m here if you need an ear.
With Love & Light